The following links should help you with most any kayak-related topic.
**Note that links are not listed in any particular order within each section.
Kayak Training, Sales, Outfitters, Rentals, etc.
- Bellingham Community Boating Center – Boat storage, rentals, instruction, and kayaking kids camps. Located on the right, just before the Greyhound/Amtrak Station at the end of Harris Street in Fairhaven. Friendly folks, good training courses, and easy access to the bay.
- Body Boat Blade – “A kayaking school for paddlers at every level.” Superior training on and around beautiful Orcas Island with nationally known coaches Leon Somme and Shawna Franklin. They also sell select gear and Nigel Dennis kayaks.
- Kayak Academy – “Wind happens, skill matters, and experience is necessary.” George Gronseth’s Kayak Academy is the elite school for kayakers. George also sells select gear and Impex and Wilderness Systems kayaks.
- KeelEazy – Chris Mitchell: distributor of KeelEazy kayak tape and Reed ChillCheater – the world’s lightest wetsuits and specialty clothes for kayaking, canoeing, surfing, and other outdoor water activities.
- University of Sea Kayaking – “Do it in a way that works best for you.” Nationally known coach and DVD training luminary Wayne Hodorowich founded the University of Sea Kayaking. USK’s mission is to promote sea kayaking education and host a comprehensive kayak education and resource website.
- Whatcom County Parks & Rec Canoe/Kayak page
- Moondance Sea Kayak Adventures – Guided tours and introductory classes since 1993. Half day trips near Bellingham and multi-day excursions in the San Juan Islands and West Coast Vancouver Island.
- Anacortes Kayak Tours – Outfitters featuring the San Juan Islands and northern Puget Sound area.
- Coast Mountain Expeditions – British Columbia Kayaking Tours with Vancouver Island’s Original Sea Kayaking Lodge.
Weather, Conditions, Ferries
- Bellingham Bay Camera
- Boater Information System – another interesting tide and weather site
- BC Ferries – If you’re heading for the Canadian Islands, you need this
- Environment Canada Weather – How cold is it in Taktayaktuk?
- Mount Baker Club – Local club offering kayak trips, along with hiking, biking, and more.
- NOAA National Data Buoy Center – Interactive site that maintains network of data collecting buoys.
- NOAA Washington State Weather – This is where everyone else gets their weather information.
- Washington State Dept. of Ecology Shoreline Aerial Photos – Believe it or not, the state has photographed every section of shoreline in the state of Washington. Very cool!!
- Washington State Ferry System – If only you could get to the San Juans this easily!
- WWW Tide and Current Predictor – Lots of Northwest locations (sure beats buying a new book every year)
- Marine Biotoxin Alert (aka Red Tide) – What’s open and what’s closed, according to the Washington State Dept. of Health
- BC Marine Trails
Kayak Manufacturers: Modern
- Current Designs – Full line of sea kayaks
- Eddyline Kayaks – Made right here in Burlington, WA!
- Perception Kayaks – Manufacturers of kayaks and kayak equipment.
- Necky Kayaks – Simply put, some of the best kayaks available
- Nigel Dennis Kayaks (NDK) – One of the foremost “Brit-boat” manufacturers
- Seaward Kayaks – Another BC kayak company
- Sterling’s Kayaks & Fiberglass – Advanced design composite kayaks, made in Bellingham
- Valley Sea Kayak – Famous “Brit-boats” [Nordkapp, Avocet, Aquanaut, etc.]